Mathematical Physics group
The main subject of my research activity is kinetic theory, not only for rarefied gases, but also for physical situations involving non-conservative interactions.
1) Kinetic theory for chemically reacting mixtures: kinetic models and hydrodynamic equations.
2) Kinetic theory for granular media: effects due to collision inelasticity.
3) Kinetic theory for socio-economic sciences: description of the interactions among agents, and of taxation and redistribution of the collected wealth.
My primary research activity deals with the kinetic theory of gases, in particular the dynamics of gas mixtures in the presence of non-conservative interactions, like chemical reactions, absorption, generations, inelastic scattering, presence of background host media (extended kinetic theory,generalized integro-differential equations of Boltzmann type). My present research activity includes also mathematical models in biomathematics, in particular the qualitative analysis of differential models in population dynamics and epidemiology (equilibria, stability, limit cycles, bifurcations).
Geometric Techniques in Impulsive Mechanics. Mechanical systems subject to unilateral positional constraints and permanent and/or instantaneous kinetic constraints. Ideal and non ideal constitutive characterizations for unilateral constraints. Feasibility of the pure rolling constraint. Internal impulsive reactions for permanent constraints and break of kinetic permanent constraints acting on impulsive systems. Collisions between free or constrained rigid bodies. Computability and explicit implementation of the algorithm for impact problems of system with high number of degrees of freedom.
Transport theory, kinetic theory, evolution problems, stability, non-conservative interactions in gas dynamics, exact solutions of the Boltzmann equation, entropy functionals, discrete and semidiscrete kinetic models, relaxation time approximations, chemically reactive gas mixtures, granular flows, hydrodynamic limits. Publications: about 200 scientific papers in International Journals, about 50 Congress communications.
Giuseppe Stracquadanio (University of Parma, XXVII cycle)
Giorgio Martalò (University of Milan, XXVII cycle)
Elena Bonacini (Universities of Ferrara, Modena-Reggio Emilia, Parma, XXIX cycle)
Cinzia Soresina (University of Milan, XXIX cycle)
Fiammetta Conforto (short visits from November 2011 up to now)
Niclas Bernhoff (May 2012, and November 2013)
Gabriella Puppo (October 2012)
Irina Potapenko (June 2012)
Alexander Bobylev (May 2011, and June 2012)
Giovanni Russo (April 2012)
Giuseppe Buffoni (short visits from November 2011 up to now)
Stéphane Brull (October 2010)
Giuseppe Alì (September 2010)
Isabella Torcicollo (September 2010)
Kazuo Aoki (University of Kyoto – Japan)
Alexander Bobylev (University of Karlstad – Sweden)
Luca Bolzoni (IZSLER Parma – Italy)
Giuseppe Buffoni (CNR-Imati – Italy)
Stephane Brull (University of Bordeaux – France)
Maria Josè Caceres (University of Granada – Spain)
Josè Alfredo Canizo (University of Birmingham – UK)
Josè Antonio Carrillo (Imperial College of London – UK)
Fiammetta Conforto (University of Messina – Italy)
Giulio De Leo (Hopkins Marine Station – Stanford University - USA)
Laurent Desvillettes (ENS of Cachan – France)
Bertrand Lods (University of Turin – Italy)
Silvia Lorenzani (Politecnico of Milan – Italy)
Roberto Monaco (Politecnico of Turin – Italy)
Giovanni Naldi (University of Milan – Italy)
Sergej Rjasanow (University of Saarbruecken – Germany)
Alberto Rossani (Politecnico of Turin – Italy)
Giovanni Russo (University of Catania – Italy)
Ferdinand Schuerrer (University of Graz – Austria)
Giuseppe Toscani (University of Pavia – Italy)
- Galileo project 2014 (financed by Università Italo Francese/Université Franco Italienne (UIF/UFI)): “Kinetic modelling and numerical simulations of reactive gas mixtures and plasmas for nuclear fusion”, coordinators: F. Salvarani (Italy) and F. Charles (France).
- Junior Project GNFM, 2013: “Damping forces exerted by multi-component gas mixtures in MEMS devices vibrating at high frequencies according to kinetic theory”, coordinator: S. Lorenzani (Politecnico of Milan).
- ESA Working Group on Kinetic Theory, 2011; coordinator: D. Giordano (ESA, Nordwijk (NL)).
- PRIN 2009 (financed by Italian MIUR): “Mathematical problems in kinetic theories and applications”, national coordinator: Prof. M. Pulvirenti (University “La Sapienza” - Roma).
- March 17, 2015: Prof. Laurent Desvillettes (ENS Cachan - France), About the use of entropy methods for PDEs: the example of the Landau equation (Colloquium of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Parma)
- October 21, 2014: Prof. Giuseppe Saccomandi (University of Perugia), Matematica e meccanica delle onde di taglio (Colloquium of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Parma)
- May 28, 2014: Prof. Giuseppe Toscani (University of Pavia), Distribuzione di ricchezza e conoscenza collettiva. Un approccio cinetico (Colloquium of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Parma)
- November 13, 2013: Prof. Niclas Bernhoff (University of Karlstad – Sweden), Half-space problem for a non-linear system of ODEs
- October 8, 2012: Prof. Gabriella Puppo (University of Insubria), Microscopically implicit, macroscopically explicit schemes for the BGK model
- June 12, 2012: Prof. Alexander V. Bobylev (University of Karlstad – Sweden), Boltzmann equation and hydrodynamics beyond the Navier-Stokes level
- May 17, 2012: Prof. Niclas Bernhoff (University of Karlstad – Sweden), Halfspace problem for the discrete Boltzmann equation: Condensing vapor flow in the presence of a non-condensable gas
- November 9, 2011: Prof. Giuseppe Buffoni (IMATI CNR – Milan), Sistema preda-predatore: effetti del sotto/sovraffollamento della preda
- May 17, 2011: Prof. Alexander V. Bobylev (University of Karlstad – Sweden), Kinetic modelling of economic games with large number of participants
- October 27, 2010: Prof. Stéphane Brull (University of Bordeaux 1 - France), Derivation of BGK models for mixtures
- Workshop - Recent advances in kinetic equations and applications, Parma (Italy), October 1-2, 2015.
- XL Summer School on Mathematical Physics – Ravello (SA, Italy), September 14-26, 2015.
- XX Congresso dell'Unione Matematica Italiana – Siena (Italy), September 7-12, 2015.
- ICTT 2015 – 24th International Conference on “Transport Theory” – Taormina (CT, Italy), September 7-11, 2015.
- 17th EWM General Meeting – Cortona (AR, Italy), August 31- September 4, 2015
- Erice MathCompEpi 2015 – “Mathematical and Computational Epidemiology of Infectious diseases” – Erice (TP, Italy), August 30 – September 5, 2015. https://erice2015.wordpress.com/
- Ph.D. School-Conference on “Mathematical Modeling of Complex Systems” – Patrasso (Greece), July 20-30, 2015.
- XX Convegno Nazionale di Fisica Statistica e dei Sistemi Complessi – Parma (Italy), June 29 – July 1, 2015.
- “Calcolo Scientifico e Modelli Matematici” – Genova (Italy), June 3-5, 2015.
- WASCOM 2015 - XVIII International Conference on “Waves and Stability in Continuous Media” - Cetraro (CS, Italy), June 1-5, 2015.
- Workshop “Statistical physics methods in social and economic systems” – IHP Paris (France), January 26-30, 2015.
- Conference "Problems on Kinetic Theory and PDE's" – Novi Sad (Serbia), September 25-27, 2014. http://www.dmi.uns.ac.rs/vesti/konferencije/kinetic_theory_2014
- XXXIX Summer School on Mathematical Physics – Ravello (SA, Italy), September 15-27, 2014. http://people.ciram.unibo.it/~ruggeri/ravello2014.html
- Workshop on “PDEs: Modelling, Analysis and Numerical Simulation” (PDE-MANS 2014) – Granada (Spain), September 15-19, 2014. http://ilex.ugr.es/PDE-MANS/
- 10th AIMS Conference on “Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations and Applications” – Madrid (Spain), July 7-11, 2014. http://www.aimsciences.org/conferences/2014/
- SIMAI National Conference 2014 – Taormina (CT, Italy), July 7-10, 2014. http://www.taosciences.it/simai-2014/
- School BIOMAT 2014 – “Complexity and emergence in social and biological systems” – Granada (Spain), June 25-27, 2014. http://www.ugr.es/~kinetic/biomat/welcome.html
- Summer School on “Methods and Models of Kinetic Theory” (M&MKT 2014), 7th edition - Porto Ercole (GR, Italy), June 8–14, 2014. http://calvino.polito.it/~mmkt/main.html
- 9th SICC International Tutorial Workshop “Topics in Nonlinear Dynamics” – “Modelling and analysis of innovation and competition processes” – Politecnico of Milan (Italy), May 26-30, 2013. http://maicp2014.deib.polimi.it/
- Assemblea Scientifica GNFM 2014 - Montecatini Terme (PT, Italy), May 15-17, 2014. http://www.altamatematica.it/gnfm/it/node/20
- NumHyp2013 – “Numerical approximations of hyperbolic systems with source terms and applications” – Aachen (Germany), September 23-27, 2013.
- XXXVIII Summer School on Mathematical Physics – Ravello (SA, Italy), September 16-28, 2013.
- WASCOM 2013 - XVII International Conference on “Waves and Stability in Continuous Media” - Levico (TN), June 17-21, 2013.
- Workshop “Kinetic days” - Toulouse (France), April 5-6, 2013.
- Assemblea Scientifica GNFM 2012 - Montecatini Terme (PT, Italy), October 4-6, 2012.
- XXXVII Summer School on Mathematical Physics – Ravello (SA, Italy), September 17-29, 2012.
- ESF-EMS-ERCOM Mathematics Conference: “Applied PDEs in Physics, Biology and Social Sciences: Classical and Modern Perspectives'” – Barcelona (Spain), September 2-7, 2012.
- RGD 28 - 28th International Symposium on “Rarefied Gas Dynamics” – Saragozza (Spain), July 11-15, 2012.
- SIMAI National Conference 2012 – Turin (Italy), June 25-28, 2012.
- Summer School on “Methods and Models of Kinetic Theory” (M&MKT 2012), 6th edition - Porto Ercole (GR, Italy), June 3–9, 2012.
- Workshop “Sustainable agro-pastoral systems: concepts, approaches and tools”, CNR - IMATI Milano, March 27, 2012.
- 10th International Conference on Operations Research - Habana (Cuba), March 6-9, 2012.
- XIX Congresso dell'Unione Matematica Italiana – Bologna (Italy), September 12-17, 2011.
- Meeting INDAM “Non linear hyperbolic systems of balance laws in Extended Thermodynamics and Kinetic Theory” - Cortona (AR, Italy), September 4-9, 2011.
- WASCOM 2011 - XVI Conference on “Waves and Stability in Continuous Media” – Brindisi (Italy), June 12-18, 2011.
- 7th ECEM - European Conference on Ecological Modelling - Riva del Garda (Italy), May 30 – June 2, 2011.
- Assemblea Scientifica GNFM 2011 - Montecatini Terme (PT, Italy), March 3-5, 2011.